In fact, any, even the most simple sewing machine can help you create a masterpiece. In the end, the era of the great couturiers came in the second half of XIX – early XX century, when the sewing machine only came into use and were quite simple. None of the computer management or an electric drive was not the question, but in those days lived and worked such great masters as Charles Worth, Elsa Schiaparelli and Coco Chanel.
At the same time, it is foolish to deny that good and properly chosen sewing machine saves time, effort and nerves master. How to make the right choice, not to get lost in a huge number of companies and models to choose from a list of the features that you need for you and not pay too much?
Try to understand. To begin to determine exactly – what do you need a machine. You just want to have it on hand to be able to shorten their own too long trousers without running every time in the studio, to sew the torn jacket child and pull up a new curtain, and it is unlikely he aim for something more? Maybe there is a desire to sew costumes for children – or you come to grips with their customized wardrobe? If you want to sew, then what? Summer dresses from lung tissue, or coat and severe jeans? Or perhaps mainly configured tricot? Having defined, you can proceed to the choice of the optimal model for your purposes.
We define the points on which to make a choice. Firstly, it is the manufacturer, and secondly, the type of sewing machine, and the third – a necessary set of features that define a particular model. Let’s start with the first.
Here, as in any other field, there are the market leaders, and little-known firms.
The most famous – Bernina, Janome, Pfaff, Brother, Singer, Husqvarna. Choosing among the leading manufacturers is largely determined by personal preferences, the presence in the store selecting machines themselves and additional accessories. You should also take into account the availability of service centers in your area – with a large “run” machines, this factor begins to play a significant role.
With less known firms is not so clear. Often, with the same feature set, unknown firm machine is significantly less. But, apart from the obvious risk of getting the worst quality, here you can stumble on another pitfall: difficulties with the acquisition of additional tabs and components. In little-known firms often happen very exotic mounting tabs or the size of the bobbin. Therefore, if you do decide to save, be sure to find out what accessories are suitable for this model, and whether you have the opportunity to buy them hassle and overpayments.
Types of sewing machines
All sewing machines are divided into industrial and domestic. Usually consumer can immediately a lot of things, and industrial one thing – but it really is one thing she knows very well, and for days and years, kilometers – without breaking. At least that is the idea.
However, industrial machine you are unlikely to be interested in, unless you are deliberately opened a small sewing enterprise – they are very much expensive, bulky and noisy operation – so it will focus on in this household material.
Domestic same machines are divided into:
sewing and embroidery
What does it all mean, and what categories to stop choice?
- Electromechanical sewing machines – the simplest of all. All internal filling of such machines – mechanics, ie levers, gears and shafts. Electric is the only engine powering it all in motion.
From the undoubted advantages of this type – reliability, low cost, inexpensive repair in case of breakage. Conventional electromechanical machines are inferior to the speed of the computer and the number of functions, as technological features of the design does not allow for lines of complex shape, but perfect novice seamstresses, or those who want to have a reliable helper for small everyday needs. However, and coats, and jeans and a ball gown and a good well-regulated electromechanical machine is quite capable. Approximate price category of these machines – 3-5 thousand rubles. Simple, affordable, reliable.
- Computer sewing machines are distinguished by the presence of a computer motherboard, which provides overall guidance process that allows this type of machine to perform quite intricate lines of the program. Move the needle with respect to the tissue in which the microprocessor operates. From the amount of memory and the number of engine “brain” of the programs depends what can a specific model.
Their starting price of about two to three times the price of the electromechanical. At first glance, it seems obvious advantage a huge number of species lines. That’s 15 different kinds of loops and chains of various flowers, leaves, and a dozen overlock stitches, and knit stitches. But if you look carefully at this list and think about which ones you personally do you use? It turns out that some of you do not need, and yet a part of numerous doubles of the same with small deviations.
Personally, I regularly use six or seven out of 56 lines, which are in my car, and two more use from time to time. However, it must be noted that it is strongly enhances my ability, in comparison with the work on electromechanical sewing machine. So do not be tempted by excess functions – absolutely not the fact that they are all you need. Rather, the fact that many of them you can hardly even ever oprobuete.
Useful work will be several types of overlock stitches, knit stitch, triple reinforced stitching, knitting loop and eyelet – in addition to the normal loop, of course. Other functions – at your discretion, just do not let it turn a variety of your head. It’s a shame to pay extra money for something that will never be used.
The undoubted advantage of the well-oiled machine is computer speed and accuracy. If your plans appear kilometers frills and embroidery on the order of 8 hours per day – computer machine greatly save you time and provide additional opportunities for creativity. Keyhole – a course change, but this change affects all kind of coat.
Of the minuses – the high price, moodiness to set up, and repair, if anything, more expensive.
- Sewing and embroidery machines and embroidery. Everything is simple, unlike industrial embroidery machines, which are able, in fact, only to embroider such harvesters often combines the two functions.
In my personal view, the budget version of the sewing and embroidery machines combine these functions very badly. They are too capricious when compared to conventional sewing, as compared with full embroidery – embroidery too limited in capabilities. A more expensive model also frighten price. Therefore, I recommend to consider this class of machines only as embroidery and acquire on the basis of these objectives.
Just do not think that buying an embroidery machine of 100 – 300 thousand, you will create a masterpiece right away. Embroidery sewing machine – it is also an art, which we must learn. The courses or on their own, in books or online lessons. In general, work on it a bit like working in Photoshop. You can go to a special website, dial there someone painted motifs, quickly read the instructions and glue them together as will adding a stamp stars and hearts. But if you look at the masterpieces, created by professionals – it becomes clear that it is not even a third of the capabilities of the instrument.
So, think carefully whether you need it, and to be honest, in most cases it is much easier and much cheaper to order embroidered in the workshop, which already have serious equipment and good wizard. Outsourcing – our all. Personally, I usually doing.
- Rasposhivalnye sewing machines. They – ploskoshovnye machines.
Designed for flexible flat seam, used to close the cut edge hem knitted article. All this complex verbal design represents the seam that you can see on the hem and the sleeves almost any t-shirt.
Among household machines flat seams can perform two types of them: ploskoshovnye machines and koverloki. Normal seam and looks the same on the front side and the reverse side as the upper thread circled around the lower (bobbin) and delayed. Flat or chain stitch looks different. It is produced by the simultaneous operation of two or more of the needles and loopers.
This type of sewing machine is designed to work with elastic “stretch” fabrics. If your main goal is t-shirts, bathing suits and tracksuits – it’s your choice. Price range from 10-15 thousand.
- Overlock – a machine with one or two needles, equipped with a cutting mechanism intended for overcasting and slices a wide variety of garments. When choosing overlock first is to focus on ease of filling and sewing. Do not forget also about the possibility of a different number of yarns overcasting. Most overlock perform 3 or 4-thread overcast, suitable for most types of fabric and overcast the edge role. Overlocking higher class exists 2- thread overcast designed for the finest fabrics – such as silk or chiffon, yet also for decorative finishes.
In principle, there overlock functions and computer sewing machines. But the seam formed at this overlock, much more accurate and reliable. In addition, the serger is equipped with knives, who themselves cut off the excess allowance, aligning the edge, which significantly saves time. In general, if you sew on a regular basis, and space allows you to place two units – Overlock acquisition will be very useful, if not – you can do without it. In any case, it does not replace a sewing machine, but complements it. To assemble the components product is not intended. Price on overlock starts from 6 – 7000, 10 you can buy a very decent model.
- Koverlok – a relatively new invention, with which many are not particularly familiar with. It came up with the name of the company Pfaff marketers for its range of machines and patented it, after which it shall become a part of everyday life. It combines the word “serger” and the English term coverstitch, that is “covering” or “closing” stitch. This machine can perform both overcast garments and flat seams and a straight chain line, that is, combines and ploskoshovnuyu serger machine. Price koverloki quite high and will start from 25-30 thousand.
As rasposhivalnaya sewing machine, koverlok designed to work with knits. The design also suggests the presence of several (2 to 10) of the upper looper thread and, by means of which it is possible to create various, sometimes very complex joints can not be distinguished from industrial.
What to choose to work with knits – koverlok or couple plus rasposhivalnaya overlock machine? On the one hand – koverloka greater number of loopers, allowing for more complex joints, it takes a lot less space, but its high price is comparable to the total cost rasposhivalki and overlock. And on the other – in the processing of the garment may need to serger, then flat seam, Overlock again, again, flat seam and so every five minutes.
In the case of the two machines is not present any difficulty, and each time koverlok have to reconfigure a flat seam on obmetochny or stachivayusche-obmetochny and back. And it is a long and painstaking process, which, even in the presence of skill takes a few minutes. Decide what is more convenient – you.
This issue is most acute when choosing a particular model of computer sewing machine. It is this type of machines the number of lines often passes for two hundred and causes ripples in the eyes, and dizziness. Start your choice need not with the number of stitches. There are more important parameters that must be defined first.
- The type of tissue, for which the machine is designed. There are machines for working with all types of fabrics, there are models designed for light to medium, or vice versa, for medium and heavy fabrics. If you definitely know that the main area of your business will be, for example, dance dresses of silk and chiffon – take the machine for light fabrics, she will work with them better than universal. If your choice – coat and jeans, consider models for medium and heavy fabrics. Usually they have more clearance between the foot and the needle plate, which allows to put under the foot a thick layer of tissue, and a more powerful engine that will be able to flash this layer.
- Maximum stitch length (sometimes up to 5 mm) and a maximum width of zigzag (7 mm). How these parameters are more – the better: expanding the field of possibilities.
- Type the shuttle: the shuttle is vertical, with removable bobbin case, and horizontal where the bobbin case is absent. The second option is more modern and more reliable – it has fewer parts that can break.
- The loop can be automatic or semi-automatic. “Full” machine allows up to 7 different types of loops in a single operation to sweep the loop just below the size buttons, remember the size of the loop and repeat the same size you desired number of times.
Automatic buttonhole foot
Semi-automatic loop typically perform more simple models. Here you define the size, guided by the markings on the foot, loop overcast 4 successive operations. It is not difficult and is not that just too long, but if you multiply by 10, 20, 30 buttons on the suit – the difference is decent.
- Do not binding, but very handy feature is the built-in needle threader, the possibility of twin needle, needle positioning button and the tack point. If you want to sew a lot, you should pay attention to the possibility of working without pedals and external speed control, it is very protects your foot, which is four – five o’clock continuous pedal starts to complain, besides the pedal go down faster than they are cars, and they do it is usually at the most inopportune moment.
This general guidance is come to an end and select from the mass of the proposed lines, fonts and set the flowers, which come in handy for you personally, and I finally tell you about another very important point.
Features you purchased the machine as standard – this is not the limit. A huge role in the quality of results and speed to achieve it play accessories. The fact is that for a good result it is important to choose the right foot, needle and thread for each tissue and operations. Table relation needle and thread thickness is in the instructions for sewing machine – and then you can hardly go wrong.
But in addition to the difficult fabrics have special needle – for example, they need to work with leather, denim, stretch fabric and jersey. Different sharpening tip allows them to work with the material most closely, for whom they are intended. Very often there are situations when they start abusing the machine for a seamstress skipped stitches or other marriage seam, and a matter of just choosing the wrong needle.
Legs as there is a huge variety. One of the largest Russian-language forums devoted to needlework, about the various tabs theme takes more than 200 pages and is regularly updated. However, only the bare minimum is flagged as standard. And here comes into play the original choice of cars – your opportunity may eventually stretch at how easily you will be able to purchase additional tabs.
I would like to draw attention to the most frequently used one of those that are usually not included in the basic package.
- Teflon, with this foot you will not have problems when sewing articles made trudnotransportiruemyh materials such as leather, plastic, suede, faux fur, etc.
- foot roll hem edge, allowing fine-under and hem edge. Are undercut to a width of 2, 4 and 6 mm.
- Shirring foot for sewing ruffles.
- Foot for sewing piping.
- Foot for sewing, beads and sequins.
And hundreds of species of tabs, tools and accessories, designed to take over what was previously possible only be done manually. To facilitate your work and turn sewing into a fascinating process.
Of course it’s not all that can be said about the sewing machines. When the apparent similarities, each model can be nuances and subtleties that will make it most suitable, or vice versa, unacceptable to you personally. Ease of filling yarns, the location of buttons and levers, sound during operation, type of bulb and another, and another, and another.
The ideal is to reach a large store showroom and sit at the different models, tuck thread, sew a test line, trying, as it will be, and whether you will be comfortable.